After studying law and journalism and making good progress in a career in newspaper journalism, I found myself in a quandary when I moved to Australia. The majority of job vacancies in my field were in Sydney, but I was in Brisbane. The positions available in the ever-shrinking pool of journalism jobs were short-term contracts at best.
I decided to cross the divide into the world of media and communications – and I’ve never looked back. The change forced me to adapt and broaden my skills quite rapidly, as it’s a fast-paced and innovative industry. There’s always pressure to upskill and try new things. If you’re considering moving into communications, I can help answer the following questions:
• what will a career in communications give me?
• are my skills transferable?
• what types of roles are available?
• what career progression opportunities are out there?
• what upskilling should I do to ensure I get the best return for investing my time?